18 Juni 2018

KMW Pursues New Amphibious Fighting Vehicle Development

18 Juni 2018


The APVT is fully amphibious and is propelled in the water by a single waterjet. (photos : KMW, BMPD)

Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) unveiled a concept demonstrator for its self-funded Amphibious Protected Vehicle Tracked (APVT) programme.

The first example is configured as an armoured personnel carrier (APC), which is operated by a two-person crew and carries eight dismounts.



The hull is of welded steel with additional buoyancy aids fitted to either side.

According to KMW, the APVT is 9.46 m long, 3.0 m wide, and 2.7 m tall with a gross vehicle weight of 30 tonnes. It carries a five-tonne payload capacity for the weapon station, ammunition, fuel, and crew.



The vehicle is fitted with a hydropneumatic decoupled suspension system, which enables it to cross a 2.5 m trench and climb a vertical obstacle of up to 0.8 m.

The road wheels are adapted from the Puma infantry fighting vehicle, which is already in service with the German Army.



The APVT also features Defense Service Tracks (DST) composite rubber tracks, which are lighter, quieter, and generate less rolling resistance and vibration compared with conventional steel tracks, which reduces fuel consumption.

It is powered by a 816-hp MTU diesel engine coupled to an ZF automatic transmission, which gives a maximum road speed of up to 70 km/h with a range of up to 550 km.



During waterborne operations it is propelled by a waterjet, which provides a maximum speed of up to 13.2 km/h with a range of up to 54 km.

Preparation for amphibious operation includes activating the bilge pumps and erecting screens at the front and the rear.



A nuclear, biological, and chemical (NBC) system and an air conditioning system have also been installed to improve crew survivability and comfort.

(Jane's)

Duterte ‘Very Inclined’ to Support Submarine Acquisition Program

18 Juni 2018


Philippine Navy need submarine for its fleet (photo : Okezone)

President Rodrigo Duterte is inclined to support to submarine acquisition program of the Philippine Navy, this was bared by Navy chief Vice Admiral Robert Empedrad on June 13.

“I remember the National Security Adviser (Secretary Hermogenes Esperon) told me that the President is very inclined to support our submarine acquisition program,” Vice Admiral Empedrad said over DWDD.

“Nagcreate na kami ng Submarine Group, we are already sending people abroad for training in preparation of the acquisition of submarine,” he said. “Kasi ang pag-acquire ng submarine it would take 7 to 10 years.”

The Navy chief that he is also supporting the submarine project. It can be remembered that Empedrad told a senate hearing in February 2018 that the future of naval warfare is submarine warfare.

“The trend now is submarine warfare because it is hard to fight an enemy that you cannot see. Mahirap kasi i-detect ang submarine,” he said.

“I just attended the future surface fleet conference in London a week ago, at ang trend ngayon is modern navies now changing strategy to anti-submarine warfare. A lot of countries are building their submarines so we have to develop also ‘yung capability pano sila i-detect,” he explained.

“So we buy submarines, we buy also anti-submarine ships,” Vice Admiral Empedrad said.

He added that the upcoming frigates being built by South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries and upcoming AW-159 Wildcat helicopters from Leonardo are all capable of anti-submarine warfare armed with torpedoes.

Earlier this week, Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the country is now looking for possible suppliers of diesel-electric submarines to beef up the Philippine Navy’s capabilities.

(Mintfo)

Major Sonar Upgrade for Collins Class Submarine

18 Juni 2018


Raytheon Australia and Thales Australia will be responsible for delivering the sonar system upgrades (photo : ASC)

Major upgrade for submarine force

Australia’s Collins Class submarine fleet will receive significant sonar upgrades further extending its superiority in our region.

Minister for Defence Industry, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, and Minister for Defence, Senator the Hon Marise Payne, today announced work will commence this year to enhance sonar systems across the Collins Class fleet.

This will better enable our submarines to safely navigate, detect and locate other vessels while remaining hidden themselves. 

Minister Pyne said with the majority of the project being delivered by Australian industry, it demonstrates the maturity of the national submarine enterprise.

“Australian defence suppliers are central to the sovereignty of our current and future military capability,” Minister Pyne said.

“As a result of their continued demonstration of expertise, Australian companies will have an enduring role in keeping our submarines superior and safe.”

Minister Payne said the upgrades are critical to maintaining Australia’s highly capable Collins Class submarine fleet until the introduction of the Future Submarines.

“The 2016 Defence White Paper clearly outlines the importance of a potent submarine capability to ensure our sovereignty and defend Australia,” Minister Payne said.

“Submarines offer capabilities no other platform can provide, and that’s why the Turnbull Government is committed to investing in the Collins Class fleet to maintain its advantage in an increasingly complex and uncertain strategic environment.”

“Enhancing the Collins Class’ high-end warfighting capabilities so they can continue to detect and locate other vessels, ensures it will be an effective deterrent to potential adversaries.”

The project is valued at $542 million and the Australian Industry Content is approximately 70 per cent, creating more than 100 direct jobs.

51 jobs will be based in New South Wales, 25 in Western Australia, 21 in South Australia and 13 in the Australian Capital Territory.

“It’s yet another sign of the strength of Australia’s defence industry that the vast majority of this complex project will be done locally, creating jobs while delivering the capability our Navy needs,” said Minister Pyne.

“Raytheon Australia and Thales Australia will play lead roles in delivering the sonar system upgrades, with ASC and a range of small and medium sized Australian companies supporting system integration.”

In the 2018–19 financial year, most of the spending will be on the design and production effort in NSW with Raytheon Australia in Macquarie Park and Thales Australia in Rydalmere.

The upgrades will then be installed at maintenance facilities at Osborne in South Australia and Henderson in Western Australia.

(Aus DoD)

16 Juni 2018

Euro Main Battle Tanks Unveils by KMW and Nexter

16 Juni 2018


The Euro MBT/EMBT (photos : andrei-bt, janes)

EU tank breaks cover

After being kept under wraps, the French-German KNDS Group (Krauss-Maffei Wegmann + Nexter Defense Systems) has unveiled its first joint project, the EMBT, or European Main Battle Tank. Essentially a technology demonstrator, with further development, “the EMBT is a short-term response to the operational need of the market for high-intensity battle tanks”.

The EMBT consists of the KMW Leopard 2A7 MBT platform fitted with the Nexter Leclerc MBT turret. The two elements were integrated at Nexter’s facility at Roanne, where Leclerc production was originally undertaken. Since then, the EMBT has undertaken mobility and firing trials, the latter performed in Portugal, with 22 rounds fired from the 120mm smoothbore gun.

The standard Leopard 2A7 has a three-person turret armed with a manually loaded 120mm smoothbore gun, whereas the Leclerc turret is fitted with a 120mm smoothbore gun fed by a bustle-mounted automatic loader.



The Leclerc turret is lighter and more compact, which reduces the combined weight by six tonnes.

According to KNDS, the EMBT demonstrates that their combined skills make it the legitimate and essential industrial actor of the two key French- German future programmes.

The first of these is the follow-on to the Leopard 2/ Leclerc MBT, which is called the Main Ground Combat System and has a potential in-service date of around 2035. This could well be brought forward because the design of these two MBTs is now many years old and the point will be reached where they can no longer be upgraded.

The second programme is the future artillery system. Called the Common Indirect Fire System, this has a number of elements, including the replacement of the German Army 155mm PzH2000 tracked and French 155mm CAESAR wheeled self-propelled artillery systems.

(Jane's)

PN to Test Fire its Spike-ER Missile this July

16 Juni 2018


Spike ER missile installed on Typhoon weapon station (photo : Wiki)

MANILA -- The Philippine Navy (PN) will conduct the first test fire of its Spike-ER surface-to-surface missile in July.

This was bared by Navy flag-officer-in-command Vice Admiral Robert Empedrad in an interview with military-run radio DWDD Wednesday.

“(This) July, we might be testing our very first missile aboard our small ships, (the) MPACs (multi-purpose assault crafts where the weapon is now being fitted), the President would like to see that testing,” he added.

Empedrad is hoping that the test will be successful as it will allow them to acquire more ships with missile capability.

“We’re hoping that we will be able to successfully test it and ‘pag naging maganda ang testing (if the testing will be successful), then we will acquire more ships with missile capability,” he stressed.

The PN’s Spike-ER missiles with its launchers and tracking systems were delivered to the Philippines from Israel last April.

(PNA)

15 Juni 2018

Royal Thai Army Prepares Attack Helicopter Acquisition

15 Juni 2018


The Royal Thai Army is looking to procure new attack helicopters, with several platforms under review including the Z-19 Black Whirlwind from China. (photo : sinodefence)

The Royal Thai Army (RTA) is preparing to acquire at least six new attack helicopters to replace its ageing fleet of Bell AH-1F Cobras, with funding for the procurement provided in the 2019 defence budget.

Confirming the plan in a press conference on 12 June, Major General Weerayuth Intaworn, commander of the RTA’s Aviation Centre, said the service has established a dedicated procurement committee, which is now evaluating proposals from several foreign countries.

Jane’s understands that helicopters under review include the Mil Mi-28 and Kamov Ka-52 from Russia, the Bell AH-1Z Viper and Boeing AH-64 Apache, Airbus Helicopters’ Tiger, Leonardo’s AW129 Mangusta, and the Z-19 Black Whirlwind produced by China’s Harbin Aircraft Industry Group.

The RTA’s Aviation Centre, based in Lopburi, has operated a small number of AH-1F Cobras since the early 1990s but three of these aircraft are scheduled to be decommissioned in the near future, confirmed Maj Gen Intaworn.

The RTA’s attack helicopter requirement is long-standing but has previously been hindered by a lack of funds. The country’s 2019 defence budget, which was announced in early June, outlines military spending of THB227.67 billion (USD7.1 billion). Official documents show the expenditure is an increase of THB9.16 billion – or 4.2% over actual defence spending in 2018.

(Jane's)

Defence Seeks Innovative Concepts to Enhance Stealth of UAS

15 Juni 2018


Wasp-2 micro UAS of the ADF (photo : Business Insider)

Defence is inviting Australian small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to submit proposals for new technologies to protect Australian small, fixed-wing unmanned aerial systems (UAS) by making them harder to detect.

Minister for Defence Industry, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, said this was another opportunity for SMEs to contribute innovative solutions to enhance Defence capability.

“Australian SMEs are great innovators and we want them to put forward innovative concepts to protect our UAS from being readily seen or heard in different environmental conditions,” Minister Pyne said.

“Defence is looking for outcomes to reduce both the visual and acoustic detection of UAS from ground-based observation without disrupting the operation of the aircraft.

UAS’s are used for intelligence gathering, surveillance and reconnaissance and especially in situations where manned flight is considered too risky. Having the ability to remain undetected conveys significant tactical advantages for such operations.  

These proposals are being invited under the Small Business Innovation Research for Defence (SBIRD) initiative of the Next Generation Technologies Fund.

“This program is designed to stimulate innovative research for Defence application by SMEs with this being the first project under the initiative requiring a novel application of material sciences and advanced sensors.”

Funded proposals will be eligible for up to $100,000, for completion within nine months.

If successful, SMEs will then be eligible to apply for funding to support further research and concept maturation within 24 months, with maximum funding of $750,000.

”I look forward to a strong response from SMEs and cutting-edge solutions in their proposals,” Minister Pyne said.

(Aus DoD)