12 Desember 2012

Defence Gets New Tugs

12 Desember 2012

MSA Bandicoot T-298 (photo : John Wilson)

Two new East Coast Tugs have arrived in Australia to replace MSA Bandicoot and Wallaro. 
The new tugs will be named Elwing and Waree following a tradition that they are named after tugs that previously served in the Royal Australian Navy.  
The new tugs mark the start of transition from Bandicoot and Wallaroo to a new tug capability that will allow the Navy to provide a greater level of tug service to its own vessels as well as visiting ships. 
The new tug capability achieved an Initial Operational Capability (IOC) to provide support to visits by nuclear-powered warships (NPW) last month. 
The transition process is expected to finish early next year, with the achievement of Final Operational Capability. 
The original Elwing was built at Rockhampton in 1933 and purchased by the Navy in 1943. She operated in Port Moresby before being sold out of service in May 1949. 
The original Waree was commissioned in 1942 and served in Port Moresby and Northern Australian waters. She was paid off in 1946 and was returned to her owners, Waratah Tug & Salvage Co. 
Defence will now commence disposal arrangements for MSA Bandicoot and Wallaroo

Tidak ada komentar:

Poskan Komentar