28 April 2015

Cabinet Mulls Buying Subs

28 April 2015


Budget for acquisition of submarines is 36 billion baht (photo : RTN Submarine Squadron)

The navy's plan to buy submarines has been proposed to the cabinet for consideration, according to navy commander Kraisorn Jansuwanit. 

The matter is now in the hands of the Secretariat of the Cabinet, and it should be forwarded to the cabinet soon, Adm Kraisorn said. 

The navy has set up a committee to decide which country will manufacture the submarines for Thailand, he said. The panel is chaired by Adm Narongpol na Bangchang, assistant navy chief.  

The navy chief said the panel will look at systems, maintenance and training for the submarines. 

The move comes after some people in the navy raised concerns over a reported proposal to purchase Chinese submarines. 

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said before he visited China earlier this month that he would discuss a plan to buy two submarines for 36 billion baht with his Chinese counterpart during his visit. 

However, several navy sources said the Chinese submarines may not be reliable. 

Yesterday, Adm Kraisorn said he had visited China to inspect Yuan-class submarines, which have Russian-made parts. 

The navy chief indicated that the submarine procurement might take five to six years, when they take into account the construction of the vessels and the training of personnel. However, he insisted if... 

Adm Kraisorn said Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore have had submarines for several years, and he considers submarines to be a strategic means to develop the armed forces. It is the duty of the navy to propose the project to the government, he said, adding that the navy is ready to give an explanation about the project for transparency.

The panel will look at submarines from several countries and make a decision within three months, the source said. It will visit South Korea, China, Russia, Germany, and Sweden to look at their submarines.

(Bangkok Post)

2 komentar:

  1. Thailand memang tampaknya sangat berhasrat untuk segera punya kapal selam biar ga ketinggalan dari Indonesia, Singapura, Malaysia dan Vietnam.

    seperti yang sudah pernah ane tulis di blog militer indonesia dan blog alutsista indonesia yg membahas ttg modernisasi kapal selam di ASEAN.

    Thailand sudaj mulai mempersiapkan SDM dan infrastrulturnya agar siap menerima kapal selam di masa datang.

    Just imho

    BalasHapus
  2. MRS. IRENE QUERY FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    God bless you Mum, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Mrs.Rachel Alex, and I am from Singapore . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now,She advised I give it a try so I mailed her and explain all about my financial situation to her, she therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $180,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 3% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule, please contact MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE via email{mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    BalasHapus