1 Juni 2009
MiG-29N of the RMAF (photo : Easycomeseasygoes)
BAGAN DATOH -- The MIG-29N fighter jets of the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) will be replaced with other interceptor jets to strengthen the force.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the matter had been discussed with RMAF chief General Tan Sri Azizan Ariffin and the aircraft would be replaced soon.
"I have decided that from next month, the aircraft be phased out and we should find a way to sell them to certain companies or countries approved by the United Nations," he told reporters after visiting the victims of a storm in Rungkup, here, Monday.
On the Sukhoi fighter jets received recently, he said the preparedness of the squadron stationed at the RMAF base in Gong Kedak, Kelantan had been proven as the members had received sufficient simulator training and other forms of training continuously.
On the 1Malaysia concept in the Malaysian Armed Forces, he said the ministry had carried out the 1Malaysia 1Force campaign through the concept of holistic defence and encouraging all races to join the territorial army.
In another development, Ahmad Zahid said the federal government had agreed to provide assistance to the storm victims in the Bagan Datoh parliamentary constituency with the involvement of 98 soldiers from the army's 2nd Division.
He said the Engineers Corps and Infantry brigade would rebuild or repair the homes damaged by the storm early last Saturday morning. The work will take about two weeks.
In the storm, the roofs of 408 houses were damaged or blown off, while 32 houses were badly damaged.